These days Montre Livingston is one of the most celebrated bladers on Earth. Rightfully so! But back in 2009 he was still an emerging talent that had just landed the biggest score of his career when Brian Shima hand-picked him for the then-burgeoning Nimh.
To capture Montre ripping in his natural state, we sent long-time contributor John Haynes to Charlotte to shoot the pics for this interview. Turns out that wasn’t a pairing for the ages. But what we did get was a batch of hometown stunts by one of the most exciting bladers of our generation. So dig into this interview from ONE Issue #12 to get a taste for that sweet, sweet nostalgia.
Check the Interview on Oneblademag.com. Words by Justin Eisinger, photos by John Haynes.
Arlo Eisenberg was once dubbed the face and voice of his generation and his story sounds like the best 90’s movie that was never made. Arlo, the punk rock kid from Texas drops out of the University of Texas and moves to California to become a star in a sport that isn’t really a sport yet. He arrives on Venice Beach, gets “found” and blows up to be a global sensation who lives a life that is every 13 year old’s fantasy. Along the way he stirs up a national controversy, hosts the X-Games and rides off into a world of graphic design. - Michael Powell.
Check the podcast on Thepowellmovement.com.
I'm honored to have been interviewed for Michael Powell's "The Powell Movement" podcast. We went pretty deep into the history books for this one, like all the way back to how my parents met and what I was doing before I discovered rollerblades. But it really does give some insight into the very early days of rollerblading and my career. Enjoyed the chat very much. Hope you enjoy it as well. - Arlo Eisenberg.
Ricardo Lino gets up at 5AM to give his honest feelings on rollerblading vs inline skating, UFS, Winterclash, the Trimax frame, Aeons, his background, how we met, Wizard frames, his relationship with MyFit/ Powerslide and some touching words about his late friend Carlos Alexandre. Podcast on Soundcloud.
Over ten years ago ONE Issue #2 went to print and inside was a feature interview with Alex Broskow. At the time he'd just filmed for The Meantime (full video), was skating on Roces skates, and I could be wrong but VX may yet have not received their cease and desist letter from naming their jeans the "James Dean".
But we didn't handle this one alone. Sitting in on the interview were Wes Driver, Corey Casey, and Adam Johnson. So much time and blade history has come and gone in the intervening years that the information and opinions Alex (and AJ) share in this discussion have both been incorporated into blading's underlying psyche while also being lost in our collective memories. But that's what makes #ThrowbackThursday so fun, because it's a great chance to dig up old content like this and share with audiences that may have never seen it before. [...]
Full Interview on Oneblademag.com.
Carter LeBlanc talks Chance of Rain 2 & Dead Video. PLAY.
Mushroomblading.com started to re-upload some of their old classic podcasts on Youtube. Here is the #186 featuring Jon Julio. The podcast was recorded in 2014.
Jon Julio and Todd McInerney talk about Volume, ASA 96, Valo, USD, Coup Da Tat, Blading Cup, lines, and so much more! PLAY (.mp3 download).
Alex Broskow's life is full of juxtapositions. From dropping out of high school and moving into the dorms of the University of Kansas to being an athlete who is looked at as one of the best to ever participate in his sport... But couldn't afford groceries.
This rare interview dives deep into the world of skating, travel and all that comes with being a pro athlete (minus money).
Check the podcast on Thepowellmovement.com.
Tom Hyser is a product designer, Marketing manager and team manager of Rollerblade Inline Skates Brand. In this Skate Talk you'll get to know a bit more about the man behind brands like K2 skates, Skatepile, Fiziks frames, Epoch frames AND Rollerblade. Hope you enjoy the 107 minute talk with one of the most influential skating individuals in 2017. - Ricardo Lino.
- 01:25 - rollerblading or inline skating?
- 02:05 - Who's Tom Hyser? For how long have you been skating?
- 08:30 - How did you got into K2 Skates ? K2 Fatty's ?
- 11:19 - getting payed 5K per month to skate at 22
- 17:50 - How did Skatepile started and why it ended
- 19:41 - FIZIKS frames problem
- 24:50 - What happened to Epoch Frames?
- 27:50 - Ford or Rollerblade?
- 30:20 - Rollerblade First Big Wheels UFS frames
- 31:05 - Your first opportunity to make an hard boot skate
- 33:00 - Skate brands trying something new.
- 34:50 - blank WARLOCK concept skate
- 37:20 - Richie Eisler 125 skates idea made by ROCES
- 38:50 - "If we keep fighting instead of supporting each other.."
- 40:55 - What do you think of the whole big wheel thing?
- 43:45 - Did k2 had Roller Skates?
- 47:45 - Tim Robot from backjack project tour with VANS
- 49:20 - They avoid skating when they get famous
- 50:33 - Some aggressive skaters should be doing freeskate promo videos
- 52:05 - Just look at it as someone who doesn't skate
- 55:14 - Greg Mirzoyan
- 57:56 - I wanted to modify Sven frames for FISE
- 59:19 - Skaters need to understand why rollerblade lost their BEST TEAM.
- 1:02:22 - Andy Kruse was on a whole different level of creativity
- 1:04:10 - what do you think of skate competitions?
- 1:05:02 - what do you think about Winterclash?
- 1:06:20 - Pro with the a Bad attitude
- 1:10:10 - You can be a really good skater without challenging life
- 1:12:35 - Is there any skater getting payed 1500 US dollars Right now?
- 1:14:00 - When is skating coming back, and what do we need to do for that to happen?
- 1:21:07 - the FIRS Skating Marathon World Championships.
- 1:23:50 - Rollerblade Team
- 1:26:50 - A Big Group of cool dudes used to make fun of David Sizemore
- 1:27:30 - David Sizemore on VALO
- 1:29:00 - New Rollerblade Skates?
- 1:35:26 - Rollerblade 2017 Video Projects
- 1:36:40 - What happened with Matthias Ogger?
- 1:40:30 - Who was the best skater you ever worked with?
- 1:42:20 - What is your favourite skate product on the market right now?
Spellcaster (Soundcloud) is a series of discussions with innovative rollerbladers, exploring blade tech, mods and the characters involved. Tom Mosher (Toronto, Canada) released the episode #3 of his podcast featuring Leon Basin, the owner of Task Shop & creator of the Wizard Frames.
Episode 3 with Leon Basin - Leon gives his candid opinion on various rocker options, his Wizard frames, three wheel skates, Aeons, Xsjado, Seba, Inline vs Rollerblading, Shop Task, skiing, Warlock prototype, Crashed Ice tricks, Sam Crofts, Anthony Pottier, AJ Delong, the history of Big Wheel skating among many other things!
More Episodes on Soundcloud.com/spellcasterrollerblading.
Mushroom Blading started to re-upload some of their old classic podcasts on Youtube. Here is the #185 featuring Colin Kelso. The podcast was recorded in 2014 (Mp3 download).
Colin Kelso and Todd McInerney talk about ego destruction, Brian Shima, thread the needles and much more!